More on Connor and Colby!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Johnny

During the past almost-8 months (insert gasp here) I've spent more than my fair share complaining about the friends and family who weren't there for us when the boys were born and when Connor passed away.  

I think it's time to move forward and think positively about all the amazing people who were there for us (me) in those days.  



Johnny: I'll start with the obvious, right?  My amazing husband.  

We met about 6 years ago and have been inseparable ever since (well, except for those 3 months I spent in Australia).  We got married in August of 2006 and have lived pretty happily ever after.  We drive each other nuts, but we are nuts about each other too.  I can't think of anyone else I would rather spend my time with or who I would rather have as the Daddy of my babies.  

From the moment that we were pregnant he became a star (well, really he was before, but that's not what we're talking about).  Yes, he still did those little things that annoyed me sometimes (:oP) but he was always there.  It was no different when I went on bed rest.  Though he still had to work, he drove into Boston to visit me every night and stayed with me every weekend.  He made sure he was there for my weekly ultrasounds, got to know the nurses, and helped me out in every way that he could.

The day the boys were born was terrifying for obvious reason, but also amazing.  In those hours before the boys came into this world and in the nail-biting hours after, Johnny was my rock.  He held my hand, encouraged me, and immediately became a loving and protective dad.  While I was waiting for feeling to return while laying in the recovery room, he was torn.  He wanted nothing more than to be with me, to comfort me, but he also was anxious to get up to see our tiny miracles in the NICU.  He covered both roles flawlessly.  He was a supporting, wonderful husband and a worrying, doting dad.  He continued to run on adrenaline over the next 2 days to make sure that I was healing and taken care of, while spending as much time with the boys, learning about their condition and doing the best for them.  He was immediately so proud to be the daddy of our miracles.

The day we lost Connor was hard, but Johnny was once again a rock.  Though crushed beyond belief, he reminded me over and over that we would get through it.  I remember him squeezing me as we said goodbye to Connor and whispering that somehow Colby, he and I would get through as a family.  We were strong enough together to handle the heartbreak- and he was and is right. 

Though now he doesn't always wash the bottles when I want and has yet to wash Colby's clothes (:0P) I know that when I need him, when it really counts, he will be there 100%.  And really?  That's all I need.


2 comments:

  1. Aww your Johnny sounds like one of the good guys. I'm so glad that he has been such a support to you.
    My husband still doesn't wash J's clothes!

    ReplyDelete